Rainn Wilson shares Baha’i faith

On Tuesday, Feb. 27, WHS welcomed guest speaker Rainn Wilson during 4th period. Best known as Dwight Schrute from the NBC comedy show The Office, Wilson discussed his Baha’i faith to the class including a background of the religion and his life experiences regarding it.

Wilson first gave the origin of the Baha’i by explaining how the founder, Bahá’u’lláh, founded the faith on the belief that the world constantly learns from manifestations of gods throughout history along with a hope to spread peace and harmony throughout society. Wilson, who was born a Baha’i, explained his story of losing his faith during his journey to become a successful actor and the lack of fulfillment he felt in his life which caused him to turn back to his religion.

As someone who is actively involved in teaching about the Baha’i faith, Wilson transitioned from his acting to finding a greater purpose in his life. After concluding The Office, Wilson founded Soulpancake, a media company that tries to make content on prevailing issues while still providing a lighthearted spin on the videos. Additionally, he founded “Lide Haiti”, a series of out of school programs for adolescent girls in Haiti who now get an opportunity to “discover their unique voice through creative writing, theater, photography and film” through the charity according to the website.

Baha’i, a religion practiced by over a million people in Iran and prevalent around the world as well, has many unique viewpoints about the world as explained by Wilson. Some important features involve the belief in 1 god, the belief in 1 religion, with all religions being a manifestation of God’s teachings throughout time and the gathering of community members every 19 days in houses or centers to conduct affairs together.

Comparative Religions, a class taught by teacher Brian Rogers, consists of a background and comparison of several important religions around the world. While the class covers important material, the purpose of it is to educate and expand the cultural appreciation and knowledge of students in areas where many are uninformed. With less of a focus on work and tests, the class is suited for students with an open mind who want to learn about interesting subjects and discuss aspects of religion in a place where they can freely express opinions and grow as individuals.