Paige Sommers chosen as March Girls Athlete of the Month

The March Girls Athlete of the Month is track and field star Paige Sommers ‘21.

At the Thousand Oaks Invitational on Feb. 24, Sommers broke the WHS pole vault record with her vault of 12’4”, which is also the second best vault in Ventura County history. Sommers hopes to build on her accomplishment in the future, with consistency as her main focus.

“I’m looking forward to making personal records and getting more consistent with my heights,” said Sommers. “I’m hoping to at least make 12’6”, and I want to try to beat 13’ because that’s the California freshman record for pole vault.”

Even Sommers’ coach is taking note of her excellence and is excited to see her break more records.

“I’m super proud of Paige,” said interim head coach Chad Scott. “This award is just validation of all her hard work. She’s also an incredible teammate, so it’s really cool to see her being recognized. ”

Sommers is taking the recent recognition modestly as she was surprised when she won Athlete of the Month, but she has higher aspirations in mind.

“It’s really cool to know that I’m being recognized, especially because I’m a freshman and it’s only my first year on the team,” said Sommers, with a grin on her face. “I’m just really determined to jump higher, because my main goal is making the Olympics.”

Sommers’ dream of competing in the Olympics constantly pushes her, and she’s always working towards that dream. The talented pole vaulter, high jumper and hurdler is taking the league by storm, already setting personal records in all three events. Many of her teammates have taken note of her work ethic.

“Paige’s dedication is amazing,” said Nat Zavala ‘19, teammate and fellow pole vaulter. “Having her dad as the coach is really helping her achieve great heights at such a young age.”

Sommers adds this accolade to her lengthening list of accomplishments, including a second place finish at Junior Olympics, but Sommers is hungry for more and will continue to
improve throughout the season.

On Fri. April 27, Sommers accomplished her short term goal by vaulting 12’9”, breaking her previous personal record, the WHS record and the Ventura County Championships meet record. Her vault is also currently the U.S. best vault in 2018 for freshmen girls.

“I push myself everyday,” said a determined Sommers. “I know that if I keep working at it, I can be one of the best, and it’s really motivating.”