Sox will steamroll playoff competition

The Boston Red Sox has the best odds to win the World Series and there is no reason not to have high confidence in their chances to win.

The Red Sox finished the regular season with a franchise win-loss record of 108-54, and they have the most dynamic offense in all of baseball. They lead the entire Major League in eight out of nine of the offensive categories.

The entire offense has contributed to their success, but two players who have had elite regular seasons are outfielder Mookie Betts and designated hitter J.D. Martinez. Betts leads all eligible players in the MLB with a batting average of .339, on base percentage of .432 and offensive WAR, or “total value rating” of 8.0. With these offensive numbers and great fielding ability, Betts is as close as it gets to a lock in selection for American League MVP. Martinez has also had an extraordinary season, and came extremely close to winning the Triple Crown. Winning the Triple Crown means a single player leads the league in home runs, batting average and runs-batted-in. He finished in first place for runs-batted-in and second place in both home runs and batting average.

In addition to their stacked offense, the Red Sox also has a dominant pitching staff. Backed by the powerhouse offense, the pitching staff has been extremely effective against opponents. The Red Sox star pitcher and ace Chris Sale is one of the favorites to win the American League CY Young Award, amongst other candidates such as Tampa Bay pitcher Blake Snell, and Indians pitcher Corey Kluber. Sale’s support staff, including David Price and Eduardo Rodriguez, have also been extremely efficient this season, and they need to continue their success throughout the playoffs if the Red Sox hopes to win the World Series. The Red Sox also has one of the best, if not the best closer in baseball, Craig Kimbrel, who is a proven star in the MLB and he will be used immensely throughout the playoffs in key scenarios. Kimbrel enters the playoffs with a WHIP of 0.995, which means that he averages giving up less than one hit or walk an inning; a stat that is extremely important for closers who tend to pitch in one or two inning scenarios.

Although they head into the playoffs having finished with the best regular-season record, their American League foes are also extremely talented and each have the ability to reach the World Series. The team that poses the greatest threat to the Red Sox’s path to victory is the Houston Astros. The Astros are last year’s champion, have all of their key players returning for this year’s playoff run and finished this regular season with a franchise record of 103-59. They have a young core led by third baseman, Alex Bregman, and outfielder, George Springer, and an effective pitching rotation and bullpen. This potential series matchup will be their toughest challenge.

The Red Sox’s talent will be hard for opponents to match, and no team is looking better than it does entering the playoffs. It also helps that is has home-field advantage locked up throughout the playoffs. Playing at its home field with the support of their entire fanbase definitely gives them advantage over opponents entering the hostile home of the Green Monster.