The Arrow

The Student News Site of Westlake High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

Behind the Scenes of The Tempest

The WHS Theater Company is performing The Tempest from Oct. 24-27 in the Carpenter Family Theater. Students can purchase tickets for $8, and adults can purchase tickets for $10.

The director of the play is drama teacher Elisa Griffin. This production is put on with the help of the crew and many volunteers.

“It is exciting that Westlake allows people to explore all aspects of theater including the intricate backstage process,” said Isabelle Rogerson ‘20, hair and makeup team member.

Everyone involved has a special role in helping the play be successful. Many members of the cast recognized the tech and crew members for their commitment.

“The people who have the biggest influence on the success of the show are those in tech and crew,” said Juliette Celozzi ‘19, who plays Miranda in the play. “They are the ones who make our sets, do all of our sounds and lighting, find props, do our makeup and hair and create costumes for us.”

All members of the play spent hours rehearsing in preparation for their performances.

“By the end of the shows, I will have [dedicated] about 30 hours,” said light board operator Weston Ginoza ‘21.

Some cast members describe this as a difficult play. The Tempest is written by Shakespeare, so the language used is confusing to understand.

“Not only are the lines hard to memorize, but you need to communicate these words to the audience,” said Brianna Flanagan ‘21, the understudy for the character Miranda and costume team member.

Members described Griffin as being successful with directing this play. The cast and crew are very thankful for all of her hard work.

“The play is looking really good,” said Ginoza. “Ms. Griffin did a great job at working the post-apocalyptic theme into it.”

Griffin is grateful that she has been given the opportunity to watch her students grow. She is satisfied with how much they have already accomplished this year. 

“I am extremely proud of how hard they have worked,” said Griffin. “[I am] impressed with their grasp on Shakespeare’s language.”