The Arrow

The Student News Site of Westlake High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

Gordon receives Teacher of the Month award

Also by Matthew Zhang ’18

Every month, the WHS faculty and the CVUSD board display their appreciation for teachers by selecting one outstanding teacher. From a pool of around 50 candidates, Special Education teacher Erin Gordon, was nominated as November’s Teacher of the Month.

Gordon has been an educator at WHS for four years and in the CVUSD for seven years. She teaches the Learning Essential Academic Program and was recognized for her collaboration with other departments and Sparkles cheer.

“The LEAP program serves the students with the most moderate to severe disabilities,” said Gordon. “It’s a totally different program for each student.”

On a regular basis, Gordon engages with her students individually in order to tailor a positive and effective learning environment for her students both in academics and in various life skills.

“[My job] is to get everybody as prepared as possible to become as independent as possible once they leave [WHS],” said Gordon.

Outside the classroom, Gordon has truly shown her care for students by being an adviser for Sparkles Cheer. She provides the students who assist Sparkles cheerleaders with the resources necessary to continue the program.

“We … as advisers, oversee and host the practices, and we’re the go-to people if the program needs anything,” said Gordon.“But the cheerleaders [who assist Sparkles Cheer] are the ones that deserve big kudos.”

Gordon received recognition from eight people, who thanked her with certifications and awards for her commitment and contributions to not only the Special Education program, but also WHS as a whole.

“I want to continue learning,” said Gordon. “And I want to pass that joy of learning on to the students.”