Cars lined up around the block at a Baldwin Park food distribution event

Los Angeles County Food Distribution in Baldwin Park Ends Early After Supplies Run Out as Long Lines Form and About 2,000 Families Receive Aid Wednesday


BALDWIN PARK, CA — Long lines of cars stretched around the block in Baldwin Park on Wednesday as families waited for food assistance at a large drive-through giveaway that ended early when supplies were exhausted. Organizers said the event was scheduled to run from 9 a.m. to noon and was intended to help as many as 2,000 families.

Instead, the distribution wrapped up around 11:30 a.m., according to organizers who confirmed to ABC News that all available food had been handed out. About 2,000 families received assistance, while some people still in line were turned away once the giveaway could not continue.

How The Giveaway Was Organized

The event was hosted by Los Angeles County Board Chair and First District Supervisor Hilda L. Solis in partnership with the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank. Organizers said the food was offered on a first-come, first-served basis and there were no eligibility requirements to take part.

Local ABC station KABC-TV showed traffic backed up near the distribution site as residents waited in long lines Wednesday morning. Solis told KABC that people she spoke with described food insecurity, unstable work, or multiple jobs that still did not cover basic needs.

Rising Costs Pressure Families

The turnout reflected broader pressure from higher food and gas costs that many households continue to face. Government data show grocery prices rose in April at the fastest annual pace in nearly four years, with fresh vegetable prices up 11.5% from a year earlier and seafood prices up 6.2%. Tomato prices were also reported to have climbed nearly 39% over the same period.

Analysts told ABC News that higher diesel costs tied to global oil disruptions have added to transportation and supply chain expenses for grocery items. One Baldwin Park resident, Jose Torres, told KABC that prices have gone up so sharply that it has become harder for families to get by, including the cost of gas and other essentials.

More Food Events Planned

Organizers said the Baldwin Park giveaway was part of a broader effort to help families dealing with ongoing economic pressure and gaps in food access. Solis previously held a similar food distribution in El Monte in April that provided 2,500 food kits, according to organizers.

Additional food distribution events are planned in Montebello and South El Monte later this month. Families looking for the next public distributions can follow announcements from the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors and the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank for timing and location updates.

More on health, care, money and the people nearby, on Westlake Arrow.