Loyola Marymount University cuts six varsity sports

Kalia Bell

Loyola Marymount University, a private university in Los Angeles, has decided to cut six of their varsity sports programs: men’s cross country, men and women’s rowing, men and women’s track and field and women’s swimming at the end of 2023. LMU competes in the NCAA Division 1 and is known for providing support to its sports programs, producing a multitude of professional athletes. 

LMU Athletic Director Craig Pintens claimed in a press release by the university that the cuts were a result of a continuously changing athletic atmosphere. He continued to state that the general impact of each sport was another large point of consideration in making these cuts. The athletic department at LMU denies any claim that individual athletes had anything to do with these decisions. 

“In no way does this decision reflect on their commitment to their sports or the university,” said Pintens. “We hold these student–athletes and their coaches in high esteem and honor that commitment and their achievements.”

For the various athletes that were a part of each of these programs, their sports being cut has had significant impacts. Not only do many people attend universities for athletic reasons, but they also are looking towards a future in their sport. Now, many student–athletes cannot pursue this at LMU, which can cause stress and difficulties for students and coaches alike.

“It just makes no sense,” said WHS varsity track runner Alexa Pinon ‘24. “It seems like an irrational decision, and it’s impacting a lot of students’ mental health and coaches and their jobs. I think that more thought needs to be put into it.” 

The overall response from the public has not been positive. Athletes, coaches, parents and fans alike have reacted negatively to the decision, and thousands have taken action in starting petitions and protests to try to reverse this decision, according to cbsnews.com. The negative response has potential to have a major impact on the school’s environment and community as a whole.

“People are protesting, and I think it’s going to be a problem because people are so upset,” said Pinon. “It’s creating a toxic environment between school communities because different sports teams are fighting with each other and people are pointing fingers.”

There has been a significant negative response as the cut overall is having an impact on students’ opportunities and abilities as well as their future endeavors within the college. 

“I think we’re losing a lot of opportunities, ” said WHS varsity swimmer Bryan Huang ‘24. “The students need to be better served. I really value my swimming, and I value the sports. It’s an integral part of the college experience to be able to participate in sports.”

Despite the massive response and criticism, LMU has remained with their stance that cutting the sports will be best for the program overall. They have stated that they will honor their financial aid and scholarship promises for student athletes that remain at the school.

“Our mission is to support our students in their pursuit of the highest level of success athletically, academically and culturally,” said Pintens. “This decision, while difficult, best positions our department and remaining Division I sports for success.”