The Arrow

The Student News Site of Westlake High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

WHS varsity baseball ready to dominate League

Kennedy Youmans
Varsity baseball gathers up in a team huddle before their game against Sylmar High School on March 1. The team overtakes SHS 20–0.

WHS varsity baseball currently holds an overall record of 9–1. The team is confident in keeping a consistent record and qualifying for CIF State.

Varsity baseball won CIF State last year with an overall record of 23–12. After some adjustments to a new team and season, they have already won nine games out of ten.

“We have a very strong team and a lot of college commits,” said varsity utility player Noah Stead ‘25. “We spend a lot of time together outside of baseball. Most of us grew up together, so we’re pretty confident going into [Marmonte League].”

The team’s tournaments and pre–season games consisted of sweep–outs and far leads throughout innings. Both their defense and offense have improved from previous seasons and an upstream trajectory from the ‘22–23 season.

Given last year’s championship and their current record, the team’s morale is strong going into Marmonte League and furthering their potential as a team.

“I think the difference [between last year and this year] will be our confidence set after winning CIF last season,” said varsity catcher Will Kaczynski ‘24.

Each player gets a chance to play through most games as they switch off every other game.

“Our pitchers and catchers switch off every game [so it’s fair for all players],” said varsity outfielder Mac McKinley ‘24. “[With all of us getting a chance to play], I think we’re going to do pretty good [this season].”

WHS varsity baseball started their League games on March 19 against Calabasas High School. Though they lost 9–7, they revealed talent through offensive and defensive plays.

“I played varsity for half the [‘22–23] season, so now I’m officially a part of varsity this year,” said Stead. “I was super excited to play my first year on varsity [on March 19].”

Regardless of how the season concludes, the team has made confidence and pride their foundation.

“I like where we’re at right now,” said Kaczynski. “We’ve all got each other’s backs, so there isn’t any hate on the team. It’s all love.”