Exploring local hiking trails

Review: 

Chesebro

Chesebro trail in Agoura Hills is a great option if you’re looking for wide open spaces and trails. Parking is plentiful with two big lots at the trailhead. Due to the open landscape with sparse trees, Chesebro is best enjoyed in the early mornings, late evenings or cooler weather days. Chesebro is dog and bike friendly and is also used as a horse trail, so it’s important to be mindful of one’s surroundings when venturing.

“The elevation gain on this trail goes almost unnoticed overall,” wrote Ryan Clayman on the app AllTrails. “Mostly exposed [trails with] wider path passing between rolling hills with sparse oaks.”

Overall Chesebro trail is convenient, due to it being right off the freeway as well as accessible parking, with moderate terrain and accessible paths that can be enjoyed by many.

Wendy and Potrero

If you are searching for a versatile trailhead with many options for different skill levels and terrain, for both hiking and biking, Wendy and Potrero trailhead (Sycamore Canyon) is the perfect option. Ranging from the Wendy Connector Trail Loop to the Boney mountain climb, Sycamore Canyon has it all. Parking is abundant and easy to access, located at the end of Wendy right off Potrero Road.

“[It’s has] well maintained trails,” wrote Lola Maria on AllTrails. “Beautiful scenery. Dogs are welcome, [but] must keep on leash.”

Staying outside of the canyon offers many options for trails that stay dry year-round, such as the Ridge Line trail or Satwiwa loop. Opposed to that, traveling down the paved canyon road opens up many more trail options. The fossil trail is ideal for hikers, and there are longer trails for biking such as the overlook to Backbone loop, which offers beautiful ocean views. With its variety of options, Wendy and Potrero is the perfect place to start on many different occasions.

Sandstone peak  

Sandstone peak trailhead, located off Yerba Buena road, is a scenic trail with breathtaking scenery ranging from ocean and mountain views to oak and sycamore canopies as well as variety of rock formations, additionally allowing for rock climbing activities. Parking is limited so come early to ensure a spot with easy trail access. Bikes are not allowed on this part of the trail, so hikers will only be encountering foot traffic on Mishe Mokwa trail.

“[It’s] absolutely beautiful,” wrote Mackenna Jonson on AllTrails. “As others have said, it’s on the harder side of moderate and involves a bit of scrambling at points. It’s the perfect place to go now while there are wildflowers and there’s water flowing in the creek.”

Overall, the Mishe Mokwa trail is the perfect weekend adventure for more experienced hikers.