The Arrow

The Student News Site of Westlake High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

Duel athlete dominates both fields

Breanna Zide

WHS Lawson Grace ‘25 is a thriving athlete playing football and track and field. He has been playing football for five years and has done track and field for about a year.

Breanna Zide

Q: How did you start getting into track and field?

A: “My dad threw shotput and discus in track and field, so that’s kind of how I was introduced to it.”

Q: Can you give me some background on throwing and what it is like for you?

A: “Throwing is an individual sport, so from playing football for so many years, the transition to an individual sport like track and field was definitely a very hard mental transition. It kind of caught me off guard how much of a mental sport it is. You have to be in the right headspace to perform well.”

Q: How did you start playing football?

“My entire family played football and I’ve been watching football for years so it’s always kind of been a part of me.”

Q:What is your favorite memory from throwing?

A:“My favorite memory right now is probably meddling at Mount Sac. It’s a pretty popular track meet and a bunch of high schools [with] the best throwers across California.”

Q:What are some of your most recent accomplishments?

A:“At the Mount sac invitational, I broke the junior class shotput record, so that’s definitely my biggest accomplishment right now. I’m also third all-time at Westlake for shotput, and for discus I am fifth all-time.”

Q: Do you have any future plans for either sport?

A:“I would go to college for both sports. Honestly, right now whichever sport will get me into a better school is the one I will continue [through] college but I have aspirations for both[sports].”