Being a dad is cool again?

While the country split over issues such as immigration, racism and gun control, sneakerheads everywhere split over the new wave of dad shoes that are slowly taking over the culture.

Most notably, many sneakerheads cringed as Kanye West departed from his previous Yeezy iterations, sneakers with a knitted upper, and released the Yeezy Boost 700 Wave Runners.

With staples like the Ultraboost and VaporMax, adidas and Nike continued to release the same old, same old over the years with a knitted upper, plush midsole and  $150+ price tag. But the dad shoe took over 2017, and the trend is not slowing down in 2018.

Quite honestly, dad shoes have stuck as a serious trend because of hype. Huge brands such as Yeezy, Balenciaga and adidas Originals x Raf Simons have all jumped on the trend with their outrageous, chunky sneaker silhouettes and luxury prices.

Edgy dressers, fashion designers and celebrities can’t get enough of the dad shoe. Atlanta rap group Migos are often touted as fashion icons, and the members almost exclusively wear chunky shoes when out in public. Whether on the runway, red carpet or at a concert, dad shoes are everywhere, calling back to the 90s, chunky style. As with all fashion, sneaker trends come in cycles, and the 90s wave is taking over in 2018. Minimal, clean-cut shoes and dad shoes will always cycle around just like skinny jeans and bell bottoms have cycled over the years.

Whether you like or dislike them, dad shoes are here to stay as long as designers like Kanye and celebrities like Kendall Jenner, Kim Kardashian and Bella Hadid keep rocking them. Louis Vuitton and Gucci have both released their own dad shoes, so they’re not going away anytime soon.

Although many hate the chunky look and despise the Gucci Rhytons and the Balenciaga Triple S, maybe this turn will encourage individuality and a break from minimalism. But two things are for sure: ugly is the new pretty, and dads are cool again.