WHS wrestlers lead team into postseason

Photo Courtesy of John Cuccia

Taylor Chen ’19 & Matthew Zhang ’18

Over President’s Day weekend, Feb. 16 and 17, seven WHS athletes participated in a competitive CIF wrestling championship tournament.

“It was very competitive there,” said Taylor Marlowe ‘19. “Everyone at the tournament was at the top of the top.”

Wrestlers Josh Berns ‘21, David Balam ‘21, Nic Furton ‘18, Luis Hernandez ‘19, Jericho Foster ‘20, Jacob Matro ‘20 and Marlowe all traveled to Carter High School in Rialto, California to represent WHS at the high stakes CIF tournament.

Marlowe and Furton have key roles in leading the team into success for the rest of the season. At the CIF tournament, Marlowe placed fifth, qualifying for a ticket into Masters, the next step from the CIF southern section, and Furton placed sixth, entering him in as an alternate for the tournament.

“I am glad we made it to Masters,” said Furton. “But it is just getting harder each level we climb. I am still going to give it all my effort.”

Key wrestlers, Marlowe’s and Furton’s overall records were 15W-1L and 16W-3L respectively.

“We had to step up our practices and train more intensely to prepare for masters,” said Furton.

From hitting consistent weight measurements to intensified workouts, the increased competition within the division has resulted in the two being more motivated than ever.

“I think I did alright,” said Marlowe. “I just wish I had cut less weight so I could wrestle in the upper weight class.”

Marlowe ended up with a record of 1-2 at Masters at Temecula High School.