Lindsey Castillo-Arteaga chosen as January Girls Athlete of the Month

The WHS girls varsity basketball team had a bittersweet season finishing 10-16 overall and 3-7 in league play. Despite this, starting point guard Lindsey Castillo-Arteaga ‘20 was chosen as the girls January athlete of the month.

“I knew that I was nominated as a candidate for Athlete of the Month,” said Castillo-Arteaga. “When I found out I was chosen for Athlete of the Month, I was very pleasantly surprised.”

This season, she played 19 games and averaged 11.4 points per game, 4.0 assists per game, 1.4 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.

“[Lindsey] had good court sense and was never selfish,” said basketball coach Harry Carbonati. “[She] makes sure all her teammates are involved.”

Being the starting point guard, Castillo-Arteaga has great court vision with her assist per game rate at almost five times the national average. She has a talent of working with all the other players on the court.

As an excellent play maker, Castillo-Arteaga has become a teammate all the players want to be on the court with.

“[Lindsey] is not just a wonderful basketball player,” said Alexis Tran ‘18. “[She] is a wonderful teammate, and her personality affects the whole team positively.”

Castillo-Arteaga’s dedication to the sport shows through her support of her team and her effort on the court.

“She worked on her game on a daily basis,” said Carbonati. “She hated to lose. The future looks good for her.”