Remembering Jesus Garcia

Kathy Tinker

AVID ATHLETE: Garcia, pictured in his sports jersey, enjoyed being a member of Unified Sports and would play with his partner Presley Davis.

On Sept. 11, WHS lost a beloved member of its community — Jesus Garcia ‘23. Garcia was a member of LEAP, as well as an active participant in Conejo Valley Unified Sports.
“As he was able, Jesus was often seen around campus in the lunchroom, in elective classes and participating in our Unified Sports program,” according to Principal Jason Branham.
Garcia’s smile is remembered as being able to cheer anyone up, and his joy during his time at WHS could brighten the days of those around him.
“He had a great smile and it would light up a room,” said special education teacher Kathy Tinker. “He would see you coming and sometimes reach out [toward you].”
Garcia loved the comfort of being surrounded by members of his campus community, whether it be through LEAP or in Unified Sports.
“My favorite memory [with Garcia] would probably be bocce ball at Newbury — I was partnered up with him,” said Unified Sports president Presley Davis ‘24. “He had so many friends at Newbury, [so] he was ecstatic to just be there. He had a smile the entire day, and he had so much fun playing the game. He ended up winning our group.”
Along with participating in away games, Garcia also enjoyed taking part in other sports games through the program, including basketball and kickball.
“When we played kickball, his [paraprofessional] kicked the ball and ran him around the bases,” said Tinker. “He was just having such a good time. Unified Sports was a lot of fun for him.”
Garcia was a light on campus and will be greatly missed. Through his time in various WHS programs, he left a lasting, positive impact on many students and faculty.
“I will always remember his bubbly personality, his wonderful smile [and] his amazing energy he brought to the club [and] to the class,” said Davis.