WHS student fights to overcome cancer

Holly Butler

BUTLER BATTLES CANCER: Georgia Butler is comforted by a therapy dog provided by the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles while undergoing chemotherapy treatment to prevent the spread of B–cell leukemia. After a year of treatment, Butler has returned to WHS for her senior year.

On Aug. 19, 2021, WHS student Georgia Butler ‘23 received the news that no one ever wants to hear — a diagnosis of a rare type of cancer, B–cell leukemia.
B–cell leukemia is an aggressive and fast–growing type of cancer that affects the white blood cells and damages bone marrow. The recovery from B–cell leukemia is a long and arduous road as research in this specific form of cancer has only progressed significantly in the last 20 years.
“I was very shocked in the beginning,” said Butler. “It was really unexpected, especially because I seem like a healthy girl and all of a sudden I was diagnosed with cancer. It was scary [because] I didn’t know what was going to happen [and] there was so much unknown.”
Butler’s friends and family also felt the shock and heartbreak of her diagnosis.
“It was so unreal when I first found out,” said Dante De La Pena ‘23. “You hear about people getting cancer all the time, but for it to happen to someone you actually know is just hard to register.”
Having a strong support system is often crucial for cancer patients’ speedy recoveries. For Butler, having her friends and family beside her through these hard times has brought her closer to them.
“[My friends] have definitely helped me get through all the hard times … and were just there for me to support me,” said Butler. “[My family] definitely got very close with everything going on as there were some very scary moments.”
B–cell leukemia is an unpredictable disease, resulting in Butler having to undergo several procedures, as well as multiple rounds of painful chemotherapy.
“I honestly was very anxious because I didn’t know what was going to happen,” said Butler. “[Having] a rare type of cancer … made it even scarier.”
In such a scary situation, Butler’s doctors were honest and upfront with her, creating a trusting relationship and environment.
“I was able to kind of relate with [my doctors], and they would actually tell me directly, and not through my parents, what was going on with my body and what was going to be happening,” said Butler. “They would talk to me like I was an equal.”
Although she was surrounded by negative things, Butler still persevered and focused on the positive aspects of her situation.
“I think what gave me hope was mostly the doctors … inspiring me and just telling me that it was going to be okay,” said Butler. “My friends … were all telling me the same thing — that [it’s] going to be okay, [and] you’re going to get through this.”
Being a patient at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles caused Butler to miss out on her junior year, and her absence was definitely taken into account by her friends.
“It made me sad to know that she wasn’t going to experience things that everyone else was getting to participate in,” said Luca De La Pena ‘23.
Despite being surrounded by family, Butler still missed going out and having fun because she could not put her health in jeopardy with the ongoing COVID–19 pandemic.
“I was really lonely,” said Butler. “I wasn’t able to see anybody because of COVID–19 [and] my [immune] system was weakened for a long time. I was in the house all the time, in the hospital all the time and was only [able to see] my parents.”
When Butler reunited with her friends, they made sure it felt like no time had passed.
“[The] first [reunion] with [my friends] was really, really special,” said Butler. “They all would bring me gifts, and I remember the first time I saw them after the hospital they were just there for me. We just talked and talked, and they caught me up on all the drama.”
Butler’s journey in battling cancer has been long and formidable, but she remains grateful for her health and recovery.
Treatment and doctor visits remain normal for Butler, but she has been able to enjoy her senior year on campus. Hospital visits are minimal and Butler reamins in good spirits as her health progresses.
“[Coming back] has been great,” said Butler. “Everyone has been so understanding of what I’ve been through [and what] I’m still going through. I’m just very glad to see everybody again.”On Aug. 19, 2021, WHS student Georgia Butler ‘23 received the news that no one ever wants to hear — a diagnosis of a rare type of cancer, B–cell leukemia.
Treatment and doctor visits remain normal for Butler, but she has been able to enjoy her senior year on campus. Hospital visits are minimal and Butler remains in good spirits as her health progresses.
“[Coming back] has been great,” said Butler. “Everyone has been so understanding of what I’ve been through [and what] I’m still going through. I’m just very glad to see everybody again.”