WHS dance team presents Dancing with the Warrior Stars

WHS+teachers+practice+their+moves+with+WHS+dance+team.+
Alexa Koniares
WHS teachers practice their moves with WHS dance team.

The WHS dance team will host their annual Dancing with the Warrior Stars fundraising event on Oct. 14 at 6 p.m. 

The competition will be held in the gym and feature various choreographed dances from sports teams including water polo, baseball, soccer, volleyball, Team for Training (a secondary dance team) and basketball. Additionally, WHS teachers compete in teams, and all dances are directed by dance team members.

Positions, styles and music are all factors that influence the way a dance is performed. Each team has an assigned style and theme to perform with a group of dance team members.

“We have a pretty exciting routine,” said Annie Finemel ‘24, who is assisting in teaching water polo their routine. “It’s [called] pom, which means they get to dance with pom poms. We usually teach them about two to four eight counts, and we’ll place them in a formation.”

The competition is judged by three guest judges including Lucas Quinn (strength coach), Kristyn Abbandini (professional choreographer) and Aj McLean (founding member of the Backstreet Boys). After the top three groups are chosen by the judges, the audience decides the winner using a digital voting system.

“There are definitely some parts [that] we’re nervous to see if we’ll be able to do or not,” said water polo player Christian Couch ‘26. “I’m looking forward to the dancing, [and] I feel like there is some good competition.”

Many participants see the water polo team as their main competition since they are the reigning champions from the 2022 Dancing with the Warrior Stars. 

“We’re most intimidated by water polo since they won last year, but we’re going to give it a good fight,” said Lauren Andrews ‘25.

Tickets can be purchased for $10 as a student and $20 for general admission. They are available on GoFan.com on the Westlake Dance Team website.

“We’re very excited,” said Finemel. “Our goal is to win again this year. We want to win round two.”