The Arrow

The Student News Site of Westlake High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

Review: Pop rock band Maneskin takes world stage by storm

MANESKIN+RUSHES+THE+STAGE%3A+Oct.+10+Maneskin+performed+their+world+tour+at+the+LA+Kia+Forum.+
Photo courtesy of Elise Douence
MANESKIN RUSHES THE STAGE: Oct. 10 Maneskin performed their world tour at the LA Kia Forum.

Formed during high school in 2016, Italian pop rock band Maneskin rose to fame in 2021 when they won the European song contest, Eurovision, with their Italian single “Zitti e Buoni.” Maneskin has four members, lead singer Damiano David, drummer Ethan Torchio,  guitarist Thomas Raggi and bass player Victoria De Angeliselectric.

Maneskin has released four albums, Chosen, Teatro d’ira, Il ballo della vita and RUSH! Their most recent music release is a modified version of their RUSH! album, RUSH! (ARE U COMING?), and was released on Nov. 10, 2023.

RUSH! (ARE U COMING?) completes the fourth album released by Maneskin in their seven years of producing music and includes 17 songs. “Honey (Are U Coming),” “Off My Face,” “The Driver,” “Valentine” and “Trastevere” are the five songs additionally added to the original album.

While there is no definite theme of the album, many of the songs mention the trials and tribulations of love and relationships. This vulnerability and the intense feelings of love are especially seen in “Valentine,” with lyrics such as: “All this love, I’m so choked up/ I can feel you in my blood/ All this lust for just one touch/ I’m so scared to give you up.”

In addition to typical themes, RUSH! (ARE YOU COMING?) includes songs with more complex meanings. Maneskin’s tribute to war-torn Ukraine is shown in their song “Gasoline,” as it discusses how abuse of power and violence can be overlooked so easily. Lyrics such as, “How are you sleeping at night/ How do you close both your eyes/ Living with all of those lives/ On your hands” reflect on such themes. Another popular song, featuring American guitarist, singer, songwriter and political activist Tom Morello, is “Gossip,” which criticizes the toxicity of Hollywood and the extreme lengths people go to in order to fit into society.

Furthermore, “If Not For You,” “The Loneliest” and “Trastevere” are slower songs that allow listeners to be supported through their sadness and difficult feelings with meaningful lyrics and display of Damiano David’s powerful and deeply emotional vocals.

In contrast, “Honey (Are U Coming?)” was released as a single to build anticipation for the extension of RUSH! With an upbeat tune, “Honey (Are U Coming?)” is an exciting way to highlight the thrilling feeling of love. “Supermodel” also follows this fast–paced tempo, creating an enjoyable party song that lightens any atmosphere.

Overall, this album was a ten out of ten. RUSH! (ARE U COMING?) showcases Maneskin’s ability to incorporate different meanings and tempos together. Together, the music displays their talent to successfully produce a unique yet cohesive album.

RUSH! (ARE U COMING?) and the rest of Maneskin’s music can be found on all music platforms.