The Arrow

The Student News Site of Westlake High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

Dear Class of 2021: a survival guide

The clock strikes 8:55, and the bell rings. Everyone simultaneously stands up and floods the hall. Over 2,000 brave souls battle their way from one class to the next, avoiding slippery floors and searching for friends along the way. Bathroom lines are far out the door and the quad is filled with mingling upperclassmen.

Welcome to the colossal labyrinth where Warriors spend over 1,000 hours a year learning for four years.
Although on the surface this behemoth may seem intimidating, for some it is the most cherished place in the world.

WHS teachers are completely devoted to their students’ growth, both intellectually and personally. They will do everything they can to prepare you for college and the real world. Take advantage of their wisdom and don’t be afraid to ask them questions.

Although upperclassmen seem terrifying due to their staggering height, they are actually quite friendly and open to sharing their experiences. In fact, upperclassmen are just as scared of you as you are of them.

High school can be an extremely stressful place. Numerous people are fixated on studying to receive the grades necessary to get into the school of their dreams; even with this remarkable amount of stress, there are many ways to enjoy the high school experience.

Joining clubs and sports teams are the best ways to relieve stress and enjoy yourself. Each club is unique and has an enriching atmosphere where people dedicate countless hours to give back to the community. Although it may seem like a lot on your plate, these extracurricular activities are quite relaxing, and a good way to showcase your hidden talents.

Rallies, although admittedly a little cheesy at times, can be the optimal place to let loose and display school spirit. These rallies often include performances from the cheer team, dance team, band and choir. This is the perfect place to see which class is the most enthusiastic. Ardent cheering and respectful sportsmanship will result in a victory.

Regardless of who you are, your best friend is going to be Sleep. The beast that you once tried to avoid as a child will be the only thing keeping you from insanity. Instead of checking Instagram or Snapchat at 1 a.m., sleep. You’ll feel much better in the morning.

On the other hand, your worst enemy is going to be Procrastination. Teachers expect students to work on long term projects and study throughout the time allotted. Procrastination not only deprives you time with your best friend, Sleep, but also damages your grades.

Even though everyone has a group of friends that they tend to cling to, step outside your comfort zone. With over 2,000 other Warriors alongside you, you may find a lifelong friend by simply talking to another person during nutrition or at a club meeting.

Finally, and arguably most importantly, have fun. Your academic responsibilities are important, but so is your ability to enjoy each and every day.

Your potential is limitless and high school is only four years long. Embrace challenges and prove why the Class of 2021 may be among the best in WHS history.