Samantha Noh is WHS’s Girls October Athlete of the Month

After a successful tennis season, girls varsity tennis player Samantha Noh ‘20 was chosen as the Girls October Athlete of the Month.

Playing at No. 2 singles for WHS, Noh led the Warriors to a 6-7 finish overall and a 6-4 record in Marmonte League.

“She is a problem solver on the court and quickly analyzes her opponents’ weaknesses, then exploits them,” said first year head coach Scott Yasgoor. “Her past tournament experience combined with great physical abilities also allows her to wear down opponents.”

Noh began playing tennis from a young age, and after starting on varsity last season as a freshman, she has made great strides to improve her game.

“She’s just dedicated, and she always has played [tennis],” said Katie Tavasoli ‘18. “You can tell she cares about the sport when you watch her play.”

Voted All-League First Team for the second year in a row, Noh finished this season with a 27-3 individual record.

“Her backhand is arguably her best shot and one that allows her to end points with one shot,” said Yasgoor. “Also, her mental toughness, which is ninety-five percent of the game, is superior to most of her opponents.”

The team has adjusted to the retirement of previous head coach Connie Flanderka, who headed the team for 39 years. Yasgoor has had the team focus more on drill work.

“He has a lot of great input that helps me improve on my skills,” said Noh.

In Marmonte League, Noh has found more success against other high caliber tennis players, such as those from Oaks Christian High School, than in previous years.

“I like the competition,” said Noh. “On the team, I like playing with the girls and meeting new people on other teams.”

Noh finished second in Marmonte League singles play to advance to the next round of individual CIF playoffs, along with the first place finisher.

“I’m excited. I’m thankful that I was able to get this far,” said Noh. “I hope I can get farther in CIF.”

With her bright personality, Noh shines both on and off the court.

“She is … the one that all other teammates look up to because of her abilities on the court,” said Yasgoor. “She is very likeable and this transfers off the court as well.”

Noh’s dedication shows through her commitment to the team and competition.

“She’s really positive, and when other people are playing, she supports them,” said Cindy Zhang ‘21. “She tries her best and she doesn’t let anything bring her down.”

Noh will compete at the individual CIF tournament Nov. 17-18 at the Claremont Club in Claremont, CA.

“The competition is all really, really good,” said Yasgoor. “[If] she plays how she is capable and sticks to her plan of attack, I’m optimistic she’ll do well.”